This business was started with the pre-conceived idea that live video training wouldn't be as good as traditional training however it would offer a fantastic opportunity for those people who cannot otherwise have face-to-face training with the trainer of their choice.
Feedback from our clients have actually proved this theory as incorrect. Clients consistently tell us that this type of training is just as effective as face to face and even has some additional benefits! Having the trainer "in their ear" allows for far more effective dialog throughout the lesson, the conversation flows and the rider can more easily chat through with the trainer the "feel" they get from different movements.
During the Coronavirus pandemic, virtual training and virtual competitions were tried, tested and grew in popularity. Many top class trainers began to see the opportunities in working remotely, meaning that they can continue to teach even when they are travelling for tours and competitions.
Online training opens up the entire globe to enable people to access the highest quality training in existence.
As an internet-based activity you may sometimes encounter glitches in connectivity as most people have already experienced with any internet-based product or service.
However, this is a small price to pay for access to top class international trainers. In addition, there are of course also constant upgrades and improvements being made to internet access and providers all the time.
In addition, or as an alternative, you can upload video clips for trainers to comment on.
- If you are riding in an area where you only have internet through your mobile phone a mobile phone signal booster can be purchased easily via companies such as Amazon.
- If you are riding in an area with WiFi, a WiFi signal booster can be purchased easily via companies such as Amazon.
- If you cannot get any signal where you ride we offer the facility of uploading a pre-recorded video to your trainer to comment and feedback on.
A Bluetooth earpiece is a small earphone that you attach to one ear to allow you to hear and speak via your phone when your phone is located elsewhere. Bluetooth long range earpieces can be purchased easily and cheaply through companies such as Amazon. Please note when purchasing your earpiece that it needs to cover the range over which you will be riding during your lesson. For example, if you are having a dressage lesson in a 20x60m arena with your phone located at C, your earpiece needs to cover at least the range of 60 metres from where your phone is located to the other end of the arena you will be riding in. Please do contact us if you need help with this.
You can either upload a video of your riding which a top trainer will analyse and comment on, or you can book a live virtual lesson with a trainer of your choice. You can either use this just for a one-off opportunity for feedback from a top international trainer, or you can use it as a regular structured program where the trainer gives you advice and exercises to work on before the next session you submit, and works out a plan of progress for you in the same way that would happen with live lessons. These video clips must be a maximum of 20 minutes long, with good lighting and visibility and uploaded through the chat feature of this site.
Please click here to access. Videos are usually of training, but for example you could also submit a dressage test, or show jumping round for scoring. The trainer will watch your video and give their feedback on both your and your horses performance as well as tips and exercises to try in the future. To make the most of the opportunity we recommend that you show as complete a picture of your horse in the video as possible. For example, you could include:
- Warm up and the horse moving in a natural way
- 3 gaits on both reins
- Upward and downward transitions
- Particular areas you want help with/to work on
- Brief commentary explaining about your horse such as its age, competition history, individual characteristics, and about yourself and what you would like to achieve from the training.
Instruction is charged at the normal rate of the trainer or specialist as set by them. You can see each trainer’s charges on their individual information. The only other charge is a £10 booking fee for each online training session booking or each online video clip submitted.
All charges are listed in GBP. To have an estimate of the equivalent cost in your own currency use this simple currency calculator https://www.xe.com/
Please note that this is just an estimate as currency providers and currency rates continuously fluctuate. You will be advised of the exact cost in your own currency of your booking during the secure payment and booking system.
- You need to book a session with the trainer of your choice through this website. Each trainers availability and prices are set out on their profile pages. Payment is to be made at the time of booking and will be transferred to the trainer once the session is complete.
- 1 hour before the scheduled time you will receive an email from us with a link to your personal classroom. At the scheduled time simply follow this link to connect with your trainer.
- Set up your smartphone camera so that it is positioned for a good view of the area in which you will be working so that the trainer has the best view possible of you/your horse. You can if you wish use an auto tracking smartphone pod such as this www.getpivo.com which will follow you and your horse around as you ride. We recommend clients practice this prior to the first session. Trainers will have other sessions booked with other clients and cannot delay your session in order to establish a good viewing angle for the camera.
- Alternatively you can have a helper positioned in the centre of the area in which you are working to video you. This is highly recommended when taking part in jumping lessons also as teh helper can raise and move teh poles.
- Your trainer will view the session via this videocall and you will hear and speak to your trainer via your wireless earphones.
We have provided a timezone converter tool on both the Trainer's profile page and on the booking page so to help you check what lesson time will be in your country.
We also email the live lesson link 1 hour before the scheduled time as a handy reminder.
Each trainer displays on their information their cancellation and refund policy, which will apply in the case of an live online training session cancellation. There is no refund on booking fees for a live online training cancellation. Cancellation is not possible of an uploaded video clip or the associated processing fee.
- All live training sessions are carried out via the internet. You need a good and consistent internet connection.
- You need a smartphone.
- You need your horse.
- You need a wireless earphones.
- You can use a smart auto-tracking device such as www.getpivo.com however this is not a requirement.
Wise Owl Equitation is an agency which facilitates the connection of clients to trainers and experts and booking of lessons and sessions with them. Wise Owl Equitation does not supply or provide any training itself.
Wise Owl Equitation is however so confident in the quality of the live video lesson functionality that we offer a 100% satisfaction guarantee. So, if you are unhappy with your lesson drop us an email outlining the reasons why and we will issue a full refund, no questions asked.
Please let us know if there is a trainer you would like to use who we don’t have listed and we will do our best to arrange this with them.